If you’re like most people, life seems to get busier and busier. From the moment you wake up to the time you go to sleep, something fills every minute of the day. And getting organized? Well that won’t happen any time soon.
But what if there were ten simple ways to make life flow just a little easier and in some instances put time back into your day? And what if all ten could also help you manage your money? Well, here are ten tips to do just that. Not every bank will offer all of them, but it is worth the time you will save to ask.
- Set up mobile banking. You may have online banking, but have you downloaded your bank’s mobile app to your smartphone? Yes, it’s secure and it means you can do much of your banking in the palm of your hand wherever you are. At work. At a ball game. Or while waiting at the doctor’s office.
- Don’t drive to the bank to deposit checks. Once you have the mobile app (refer to tip #1), most banks also offer mobile deposit. Simply use your smartphone to take a photo of a check, and within a few taps, your check is on its way to being deposited into your account.
- Pay people electronically. If you owe someone money, don’t waste time driving to an ATM for cash or writing and mailing a check. Send a person to person payment using the mobile app on your phone. At Old National, we call this service Popmoney®. You send the payment within seconds; It goes into the recipient’s account within 1 to 3 business days.
- Use Visa® Checkout. Stop entering your debit card and shipping information each time you order something online. Instead, enroll your debit card in Visa Checkout. Your information is stored for future use behind multiple layers of security.
- Get through checkout lines faster. Add your debit card to a digital wallet on your smartphone. No more digging for your debit card. No writing checks. Just hold your phone near the store’s card reader, and the purchase amount is deducted from your checking account. The thumbprint technology you set up in tip #4 is how your payment is authenticated. It’s secure and it’s fun to see the puzzled looks from people wondering how you just paid with your phone.
Services to save time
Access your bank accounts, deposit checks, pay bills and more from home, the office or on the go. An Old National checking account paired with our online and mobile services makes it easy.
- Message your bank through mobile or online banking. Need to communicate with your bank? You don’t have to go to a branch or take time to call. Nearly all banks have a way for you to send and receive a secure message within their online and mobile banking.
- Don’t spend time driving from one bank to another. Do you have a checking account at one bank and a loan at another? You don’t have to mail a check or go to the “loan” bank to make a payment. Most banks now enable you to set up an account to account transfer within their online banking, so you can electronically transfer money from one bank to another.
- Consolidate and organize your bill payments. If you’re still mailing checks or going to different web sites to pay bills, this bank service can be a huge timesaver. Set all of your bill payments up within online banking. It is much easier to see and pay everything from one place. Plus, if you have a mobile banking app, you can pay bills from there too. While some banks may charge for online bill pay, at Old National it is free.
- Take advantage of automatic transfers and payments. If you have a set amount of money that is sent regularly to pay a person or bill, or just deposited into another account, schedule it to happen automatically. Look for “set a transfer” or similar wording in online banking to arrange a regular transfer between your accounts. To set a recurring payment to a person or company, look for “automatic payments” in online banking.
- Don’t spend time looking for statements. While you may not need a printed copy of a bank statement often, when you do it can be time-consuming to locate one. You could spend time searching your house or driving to the bank to get a copy. Or, if you have signed up for eStatements in online banking, you can easily access and print one. Old National provides an 18-month history of eStatements from the time you sign up.
If you need assistance setting up any of these services, talk to your financial institution, or check their website for online tutorials to walk you through the process. It will take a small investment of time up front to set them up, but it will be worth the time you will save in the end.
This content is not intended to provide legal, tax, accounting, financial or investment advice or indicate the suitability of any product or service for your unique circumstances. You are encouraged to consult with a qualified legal, tax, accounting, financial or investment professional based on your specific circumstances. We do not make any warranties as to accuracy or completeness of this information, do not endorse any third-party companies, products, or services described here, and take no liability for your use of this information.