Using the ONB Mobile App, how do I set up Card Controls for my HSA Debit Card?
Card Controls enable you to monitor your HSA Debit Card activity, receive alerts for certain types of transactions and turn your card off/on in the event that it is lost or stolen.
After logging in to the ONB Mobile App, go to More on the lower right of the Accounts screen. On the Account Services screen, select Card Controls.
You will then see a list of your debit cards. Active debit cards which are available for Card Controls use are by default set to "ON" the first time you view them. Suspended cards which are not available for Card Controls are displayed as “OFF.”
Setting Card Controls to "ON" or "OFF"
- Next to Card Status, use the ON/OFF toggle to set your HSA Debit Card status to either active or suspended.
- Setting the card status to “OFF” suspends all activity on the debit card. The status must be set to “ON” to use the card.
- A debit card must be in “Active” status to add Declines and Alerts.
Setting debit card Alerts & Controls
- Choose the debit card you want to set, make sure the Card Status is set to Active/ON and select the Set Declines and Alerts button.
- The Set Declines and Alerts screen will open with three options:
- Send Alerts for all transactions, next to a toggle bar
- Transaction Type
- Spend Limits
- Next to Send Alerts for all transactions, you can set the toggle to ON to receive Alerts for all transaction types: purchase, ATM, Internet Purchase, Mail/Telephone Order, or Non-US Purchase.
- To set up an Alert for a specific Transaction Type only, choose Transaction Type for a list of options. Tap the option(s) for which you want to receive an Alert. Set the Send Alerts option to ON. When an Alert is turned on, you will see a blue bell next to it.
- When a transaction is set to ON, EVERY transaction of that type on the debit card will trigger an Alert.
Declining debit card transactions
- Choose your HSA Debit Card, make sure the Card Status is set to Active/ON and select the Set Declines and Alerts button.
- To decline a specific Transaction Type, tap Transaction Type for a list of options. Tap each option you want to block and next to Decline Transaction set the toggle to BLOCK. Note: If the Decline Transaction toggle is set to BLOCK, an Alert will automatically be sent.
- When a transaction is set to BLOCK, EVERY transaction of that type on the debit card will be declined/blocked.
Setting Spend Limits
- When Spend Limits are set on your HSA Debit Card, transactions made over a certain amount will be declined. To set up Spend Limits, select the Spend Limits option.
- Turn on the Spend Limit by toggling to BLOCK and enter the maximum dollar amount to allow. ANY debit card transaction that is more than the dollar amount entered will be blocked/declined.
- To Block transactions over a dollar amount AND receive an Alert, go to Alert Me and set the toggle to ALERT. Enter the minimum dollar amount for which you want to receive an Alert.
- You can Block a certain dollar amount but be Alerted for a different dollar amount. For example, you can set up your card to BLOCK transactions over $200 but set up an Alert to go out anytime a transaction is made for over $100.
A note about Email vs. Text Alerts
Card Controls Alerts are emailed to the email address you have listed in Online Banking under Notifications and Settings on the Alerts & Notifications screen. If you also have a phone number set up to receive Text Alerts, you will receive Card Controls Alerts by text too. There is not a way to turn off the email alerts. You can turn off Text Alerts by logging in to Online Banking from a browser and removing your phone number from the Alerts & Notification screen, but this will turn off ALL Text Alerts and not just Card Controls Alerts.